23 May 2016
23 films supported by Creative Europe MEDIA screened in Cannes
Cannes Film Festival as well as its parallel events - Directors' Fortnight and Semaine de la Critique - will present 22 films supported by Creative Europe MEDIA, starting on Wednesday 11 until Sunday 22 May 2016. In the Official Competition, which includes 21 entries, 9 of the MEDIA films will be competing for the Palme d'Or. Overall, €2.1 million were invested in these European works
23* films which have received financing from the Creative Europe programme will be screened in Cannes, the Festival starting on Wednesday 11 May. Funding was provided for the development, the distribution as well as through the co-production schemes of Creative Europe MEDIA, for a total amount of €2.1m.
14 films supported by MEDIA will line up.
The following ten will be competing for the Palme d'Or:
- • Toni Erdmann, Maren Ade - Germany
- • Julieta, Pedro Almodovar - Spain
- • La Fille Inconnue, Jean-Pierre and Luc Dardenne - Belgium
- • Ma Loute (Slack Bay), Bruno Dumont - France
- • Rester Vertical, Alain Guiraudie - France
- • Mal de Pierres, Nicole Garcia - France
- • I, Daniel Blake, Ken Loach - United Kingdom
- • Bacalauréat (Graduation), Cristian Mungiu - Romania
- • Sieranevada, Cristi Puiu - Romania
- • The Neon Demon, Nicolas Winding Refn - Denmark
*The Neon Demon by Nicolas Winding Refn was not covered in our initial review of films supported by Creative Europe MEDIA: its production company Space Rocket Nation received funding for the project I Walk With the Dead at the development stage, before its title changed to The Neon Demon.
More info: https://ec.europa.eu/digital-single-market/en/news/23-films-supported-creative-europe-media-screened-cannes